Jesus answered them, ” Isn’t this because you are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God? ” Mark 12: 24.
These verses from Mark 12: 18 – 27, relate a conversation between our Lord Jesus Christ and the Sadducees. The religion of the Sadducees, we know, was little better than infidelity and formalism. These are two (2) enemies for whose Christians must always be prepared.
We learn from this passage three (3) powerful lessons:
- How much unfairness may often be detected in the arguments of infidels(1).
They ask ” whose wife ” of all the seven the woman would be in the resurrection? ” The Sadducees care for was to raise a difficulty, and if possible to put our Lord Jesus to silence. There are three things which we shall do well to remember, if unhappy we have at any time to argue with infidels (we must avoid this argument as far as possible):
– Let us remember that an infidel will always try to press us with the difficulties and abstruse things ( difficult to comprehend or understand) of religion, and especially with those which are connected with the world to come;
– We must be on our guard against unfairness and dishonesty in argument (unbelievers and skeptics had never calmly examined the foundations of Christianity);
– Every infidel have a conscience (To this we may always appeal confidently) .
- How much of religious error may be traced to ignorance of the BIBLE (2).
” Do you not err ( to make a mistake ), because you know not the Scriptures? “ The BIBLE is God’s word , the TRUTH to Man. Life instructions for Eternity & Prosperity. Perhaps, the religious denominations which are the most flourishing at this day, are the one which honor the BIBLE. The nations (not the states) which enjoy most moral light, are nations in which the BIBLE is most known. The parishes in our land where there is true religion, are those in which the BIBLE is most studied. The goodliest family are BIBLE reading. The holiest men & women are BIBLE reading people.
Let these things sink deeply into our hearts, and bear fruit in our lives. The more this so called ” book “ is known, the better the world will be. Not least, let us teach our children to value the BIBLE.
- How different will be state of things after the resurrection, from the state in which we live now (3).
Hunger & thirst being no more – there shall be no need of food – weariness and fatigue being no more – there shall be no need of sleep – death being no more – there shall be no need of births to supply the place of those who are removed. Definitely, the resurrection will be for the Christians, the realm of enjoying the full presence of God, doing his will perfectly and seeing his face continually. Clothed in a glorious body – they shall be ” as the angels which are in heaven .” There is comfort in all this for true Christians 2 Corinthians 5: 4 ” For indeed we who are in the tent do groan, being burdened, not that we desire to be unclothed, that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.” Let us carefully bear in mind that we will be raised again in ” the resurrection of life”, one with Christ , and Christ in us, and then, we may look forward with joy to a life to come. John 5: 29 ” And will come out, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.”